We only have a few birth days! Our bodies are born as girls and mature into women with the ability to give birth. We only give birth a few times in our lives. Therefore, we need to focus on birth as a unique, valued time in a woman’s live where we celebrate the miracle and blessing of birth. A BIRTH day is a day of life, celebration and family!
Choosing the best setting for your birth day is very important. Due to incredible marketing, hospitals rank as the number one birth option for women and their families to use to give birth. Out of hospital births are not as common but on a rapid rise, they are like on of our best kept secrets. There are a myriad of reasons one might choose an out of hospital birth as opposed to a hospital birth. Primarily men and women are now leaning towards more affordable birth options while reducing the risks to mothers and babies.
Sadly the number on risk to a woman in labor is surgical intervention. Failed induction, adverse response to induction and fear are the number one reasons that surgical births are occurring. Surgical births is also very expensive and increases the risks for women and their babies after delivery with infection, respiratory illness, blood clots, prolonged hospitalization, undue pain etc., etc. etc.
CHOOSING THE BEST SETTING FOR YOU IS VERY IMPORTANT. ONE OF THE
BIGGEST DETERRENTS TO MAKING YOUR CHOICE MAY BE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.
Lets talk a little about how you can choose your birth setting.
- Check out your options, visit local birth centers, take a tour, ask them how they handle safety.
- Talk to the midwives, ask about their philosophy of birth, how they handle emergencies, when are they present for you birth.
- Talk to the doctors, ask about their philosophy of birth, how they handle emergencies, when are they present for your birth.
- ASK EVERYONE ABOUT COSTS. Remember the costs of the hospital are called facility fees, asked about other fees too! Like the costs of the pediatrician, the medicines, the doctor or midwife, the room, anesthesia, there are a lot of “hidden costs” get it all in writing.
- Did you know that the “average” cost for a natural vaginal birth in the hospital here in Kansas City is $12,500.00.
- Did you know that the “average” cost for a natural vaginal birth at a birth center in the Kansas City area is $4500…and this cost INCLUDES the fee for your midwife, your baby, any medications used during birth or immediately after birth, all NB screening, aromatherapy, nutrition, water birth, staff, and much more.
- Did you know that birth center staff must be certified like hospital staff in Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation and Neonatal resuscitation?
- Did you know that birth centers have available medications for you if you need an IV, treatment for infection such as GBS, treatment for hemorrhage and many other concerns of delivery?
- Did you know that our states both Kansas and Missouri license free standing birth centers (and I am talking about those who are NOT part of a hospital)?
- Did you know that government based health care insurance plans credential birth centers. In other words reimburse them for services they offer?
- Did you know that birth centers do work with hospitals and OB/GYNs if you need more help getting your baby born or need to transfer your care? They are prepared in emergencies and are ready if and when one may happen.
So, if you are considering choosing an out of hospital birth setting, and your insurance company is telling you to “pick a hospital”, let them know the 7 statements I wrote above. You are the consumer of the insurance plan you carry—ask them to consider saving MORE money by adding a birth center to their listing of birth options. They will save money and you will have an incredible birth day!
Let me know your thoughts! There is SO much to talk about and I have just touched the tip of a BIG ICEBERG here!